The plan was for the family to meet up with me on Friday for our Labor Day weekend plans in Gladwin, Michigan. I packed up the minivan with supplies for the weekend, and left on Wednesday morning.
Wander the earth
Several people asked me, including my husband, where I was planning to go. I answered simply:
"Wander the earth." You know, like from Pulp Fiction:
Jules: Well, that's what I've been sitting here contemplating. First, I'm going to deliver this case to Marcellus, then, basically, I'm just going to walk the Earth.
Vincent: What'cha mean, "walk the earth"?
Jules: You know, like Caine in Kung Fu, walk from place to place, meet people, get into adventures.
Vincent: And how long do you intend to walk the earth?
Jules: Until God puts me where he wants me to be.
Vincent: And what if he don't do that?
Jules: If it takes forever, then I'll walk forever.
Vincent: So you decided to be a bum?
Yep, I decided to be a bum. Yes, my husband asked me that. Thanks, hubby.
Wandering for geeks
Unlike Jules, I got tools to assist my wandering. I used my navigation system on my Blackberry -- I call her V.I.C.I. (from Small Wonder) -- to guide my wandering. In order to find the "road less traveled," I changed the default settings from fastest route to shortest route, and set the routing to "avoid highways."
I also followed the following rules for my travels:
- Each destination I selected was an hour or less away.
- I found destinations randomly, or sometimes by local tourism sites, such as www.roadsideamerica.com/
- Avoid highways, malls, and any major commercial areas other than traditional downtowns.
- Only eat and shop at locally owned stores and restaurants.
- Stop whenever I saw something of interest!
- Take lots of pictures.